Assoc.Prof Ashish Gupta
Dr Ashish Gupta completed his undergraduate medical training from one of the top medical schools in India. Ashish commenced working in Queensland and completed his Orthopaedic specialist training in Queensland and was awarded the Fellowship by the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in 2013.
Dr Gupta practiced as a staff specialist at the Townsville General Hospital in 2013 where he provided orthopaedic care to the local community. He was actively involved in teaching and training registrars in Orthopaedics and medical students from James Cook University.
True to the Aussie spirit of exploring beyond our shores; a penchant for research and quest for working in some of the best units in the world led Dr Gupta to move overseas for a few years to gain sub specialist training in shoulder surgery at the premier institution’s in Europe and North America…
Qualifications, Awards, Scholarships & Memberships
Current Academic Role
- Adj Assoc Prof and Director QUASR (Qld. Unit for Advanced Shoulder Research), Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane Australia.
- Brisbane Shoulder Arthroscopy and Arthroplasty Fellowship Supervisor along with Assoc Prof Kenneth Cutbush (AOA Accredited Shoulder Fellowship)
- Clinical Supervisor for Orthopaedic Trainees for the Orthopaedic Surgical Education Training program – AOA/RACS
- Clinical educator University of Queensland Medical School.
- Masters in Surgery, University of Western Ontario, Canada 2016
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (Orth.) 2013
- Certified Independent Medical Examiner 2015 – American College of Independent Medical Examiners 2015
- MBBS Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India 2002
- Fellow of Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Fellow of Australian Orthopaedic Association
- Member of the Queensland Shoulder Society
- Member of International Society for Technology in Arthroplasty (ISTA)
- Member of International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee surgery and Orthopaedic Sports medicine (ISAKOS)
- John Bartlet Award– Runners Up Position for Best Scientific Paper Asia Pacific Orthopaedic Association Kuala Lumpur 2019 – Joint Line Restoration with Glenoid Grafting in Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty K Italia, N Green, J Maharaj A Gupta
- David Sonnabend Award for Best Scientific Research 2018 Shoulder Elbow Society of Australia Biennial meeting Perth 2018- Efficacy of Suprascapular nerve block compared with Subacromial injection: A randomized controlled trial in patients with rotator cuff tears. J Coory, A Parr, M Wilkinson, A Gupta.
- Best Poster Award APKASS Sydney 2018 – Efficacy of Suprascapular nerve block compared with Subacromial injection: A randomized controlled trial in patients with rotator cuff tears. J Coory, A Parr, M Wilkinson , A Gupta. APKASS Meeting Sydney 2018
Scholarships and Research Grants
1. QUASR Biomechanical Invitro Shoulder Simulator Research Grant – $50,000
2. QUASR Advanced Computer modelling and Simulation lab research Grant -$116,500 Wright Medical
3. QUASR Tissue Scaffold and Soft Tissue simulation and multiscale modelling research Grant- Zimmer $150,000
4. QUASR 3D Motion Analysis and use of wear able technology in patients with shoulder arthritis Research Grant Logemass $15000
1. Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation (IHBI) Large equipment Grant Robotic Musculoskeletal Stimulator $84,500- QUASR – Ashish Gupta and Peter Pivonka Co Applicant- Louis Ferreira
2. Roland Bishop Bequest Grant $80,000 – Musculoskeletal Stimulator -QUASR, Ashish Gupta and Peter Pivonka Co Applicant- Louis Ferreira
3. Research Grant for computer modelling to QUASR, Materialize Australia $25000
2017 and Earlier
1. Department of Surgery Scholarship University of Western Ontario Masters Program 2015-2016, $15000
2. Arthritis Australia Research Grant 2015 , $25000
3. Arthritis Australia Research Grant 2014, $25000
4. Stryker Travelling/ Outreach Fellowship AOA Outreach 2012, $2000
- Arthritis Australia Scholarship for Research in Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty 2016
- Western University London Ontario Division of Surgery Scholarship for Masters in Surgery 2015
- Arthritis Australia Scholarship for Shoulder Arthroplasty 2015
- Stryker Travelling Scholarship for Orthopaedic Outreach 2011 – Australian Orthopaedic Outreach team Fiji
- Stryker Travelling Scholarship for Orthopaedic Outreach 2010 – Australian Orthopaedic Outreach team Fiji
The French Experience
Dr Gupta completed the prestigious one-year Advanced Arthroscopy and Arthroplasty Shoulder Fellowship with world renowned shoulder surgeon, Dr Laurent Lafosse in Annecy, France. Dr Lafosse is considered one of the leaders for Arthroscopic (key hole) shoulder surgery in the world. Dr Lafosse has developed many arthroscopic procedures such as the arthroscopic Latarjet and invented many tools used in arthroscopic shoulder surgery used today.
Under his mentorship, Dr Gupta learned numerous arthroscopic procedures such as rotator cuff repairs, management of shoulder instability, Arthroscopic Latarjet procedure, Arthroscopic brachial plexus and supra scapular nerve release as well as shoulder replacement procedures.
Dr Gupta also had the opportunity to work with Dr Gilles Walch in Lyon, France who is considered one of the pioneers of open shoulder surgery and shoulder replacement surgery in the world.
The German Experience
Dr Gupta interest in shoulder arthritis led him to complete a Shoulder Arthroplasty Fellowship with Dr Ludwig Seebauer in Klinikum Bogenhausen in Munich, Germany. Dr Seebauer heads one the largest shoulder replacement units in the world, performing around 500 shoulder replacements annually. He is a world renowned Shoulder arthroplasty surgeon and is well respected globally for his concepts in management of complex shoulder replacements and revision shoulder replacements.
Under Dr Seebauer’s guidance Dr Gupta focused on the intricacies of shoulder replacement and revision shoulder replacement. The complex tertiary referral nature of the practice gave him exposure to a large number of patients with complex shoulder problems. The clinic also specialises in treating many elite athletes from the local and European sports teams including players from Bundesliga and Bayern Munich Football club. Dr Gupta was able to partake in treating athletes along with the surgeons, coaches and trainers and understood the challenges in getting elite athletes back to their pre injury level.
The Canadian Experience
In 2015 Dr Gupta moved to London, Ontario, Canada to complete the reputed one year fellowship in sports knee and shoulder surgery at the Fowler Kennedy Sports clinic and the Roth McFarlane Hand and Upper Limb Clinic (HULC).
HULC is highly reputed subspecialty upper limb clinic .It is one of the largest shoulder arthroplasty units in North America . At HUCL Dr Gupta worked with Dr George Athwal, Dr Drosdowech and Dr Faber and gained further training in shoulder arthroplasty, arthroscopy and trauma. HULC houses one of the worlds leading orthopaedic biomechanical and tissue research labs.
The lab has an excellent reputation for research in upper limb. Here Dr Gupta is working closely with Dr Athwal and Dr Ferriera and completing a Masters degree with a special interest in computer modelling for reverse shoulder replacement design.
Dr Gupta’s keen interest in sports injuries led him to complete the highly competitive sports fellowship at Fowler Kennedy Sports Clinic. Fowler Kennedy is a premier sports injury clinic in Canada and manages various elite athletes including professional athletes and members of the Canadian Olympic team. Under the mentorship of Dr Litchfield and Dr Getgood, Dr Gupta focused on all aspects of sports shoulder and knee surgery including cartilage procedures, meniscal procedures / transplants, management of multi ligament knee injuries and treatment of early arthritis with osteotomies.
As a part of the clinic Dr Gupta was actively involved in providing medical coverage for the University sports teams and the professional sports teams. Further enabling him to provide holistic care to athletes from time of initial injury to getting them back to sport.
QUASR - Research & Mentorships
Assoc. Prof Gupta has a keen interest in research. He has participated in running clinical trials, published in international journals and has authored numerous book chapters. Dr Gupta has currently completed his Masters by thesis. His focus lies in the biomechanics of Reverse Shoulder Replacement and Revision shoulder replacement.
Dr Gupta regularly presents at national and international meetings.
Dr Gupta is the founding Director of the Queensland Unit for Advanced Shoulder Research (QUASR) at QUT in Brisbane. QUASR is a multidisciplinary collaborative unit with special focus in shoulder research. QUASR combines the efforts of experts in the field of computer modelling, biomechanics, tissue culture and 3D printing.
Dr Gupta has been appointed as an (adjunct) Assoc. Professor at the QUT for his continued efforts towards shoulder research.
Presentations and Publications
View presentations and publications here.
Outreach Community Programs
As part of the annual Outreach team to Lautoka Hospital. Dr Gupta has been going to Fiji since 2010 and takes an active role in Registrar teaching for improvements in Orthopaedic practice amongst the local fraternity. The caseload is often dynamically complex whilst operating within the local infrastructure which brings its own set of challenges.
Dr Gupta DOES NOT receive any financial reenumeration for use of any implant or device.